May 30, 2014

review: the autoimmune paleo cookbook

My little experiment of following a paleo autoimmune protocol for the past few months has been quite the revelation. I have a whole new view of what food can do for my body when it's nutrient-dense and non-inflammatory, and for me, there's no going back. Though the process hasn't always been easy, I've made steady progress in many areas, including stabilizing my blood sugar, effortless weight loss, and actually beginning to see the psoriasis that appeared over three years ago begin to get better. Most importantly, I never would have been able to get through the initial three months as successfully and enjoyably without The AutoImmune Paleo Cookbook, an artfully photographed resource with over 100 delicious autoimmune paleo-compliant recipes created by author Mickey Trescott. Mickey has worked as a personal chef for private families, and her cooking experience is evident in the creative flavorful touches she adds while still making the recipes accessible for the home cook. I am ever so grateful that Mickey decided to write this cookbook. In this review, I've fashioned a short tour of a few of the staples that have changed my health for the better from The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook. 



First there is the bone broth. Compared with other recipes I've tried, Mickey's recipe is much simpler, requiring only three ingredients, and that's the beauty of it. Because it's so simple, it's easy to get in the habit of making the broth every week, which I recommend since it helps in healing and is used in several of the recipes. I drink at least a cup of it every day, usually with breakfast, and sometimes steep a few slices of ginger and a wedge of lemon while I'm warming it up. There have also been times when I'm hungry later in the evening but didn't want to eat before bed; instead I heat up a cup of the broth with a tablespoon of coconut oil and sip it slowly while relaxing. Good stuff.



On the autoimmune paleo protocol, breakfast is for champions. What's incredible is that I haven't missed the scones and pancakes I used to eat since I'm feasting on these savory, satiating meat patties. Mickey has included two versions of these little gems in the cookbook; Three Herb Beef and Garlic-Sage Chicken. I make a batch and a half of each recipe about every two weeks. The beef patty you see in the picture above even has beef liver mixed into it, a variation I make in order to add organ meat, which is super nutrient-rich, to our diet. Nobody, except maybe my vegetarian/vegan friends, would pass up breakfast with these patties on the plate.



Sauerkraut for breakfast-who would have imagined it? It's killer good scooped over the meat patty for breakfast, or anytime you want to add some flavor and texture to say, lunch, or yes please, dinner too. The top shelf of our pantry has become a tiny sauerkraut factory, and the hardest thing about making it is waiting for it to be ready. It's also been a great way to get more probiotics into our diet. If you've had a negative reaction to taking probiotic pills on a daily basis like me, I'd recommend trying the food route to getting the good bacteria in your gut, which will thank you in many ways.



Oh, kale, how verdant you are, and yet wonderful when so simply dressed! Mickey has a dead-simple version of dressing kale in the cookbook with a little red onion and cucumber for punch. I've made this often, sometimes just simply massaging the kale with extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Green is the new everything.



I wouldn't want to live without root vegetables. Mickey's Rainbow Roasted Root Vegetables is a rainbow of color and flavor. I've used parsnips, beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, and carrots in different combinations, and I eat my roasted rainbow every morning. And of course, they're magically delicious.


My excellent auto-immune paleo breakfast

Of course, this little sampling only scratches the surface of what's available in The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook. Among the many helpful tips, there are two 4-week meal plans to help you organize your cooking, a list of foods to include and a list of foods to avoid, a pantry guide, and recommended tools for your kitchen. The recipe section hits all the basics with appetizers & snacks, beverages, dressings & sauces, salads, soups & stews, vegetables, poultry, seafood, beef & lamb, and sweet treats. At the end is a short resource section including several links for finding a medical practitioner in your area, sourcing food and other staples, and other AIP-compliant blogs to further your education and expand your palate. If you're one of those people who likes to flip through a cookbook to get a feel for it, there's a short video on Mickey's blog that does that for you and gives you a visual of what a fine cookbook this is. In fact, it's so fine, it blows my mind. Hey Mickey, thanks for such a super cool cookbook.

3 comments:

  1. I vowed to myself, no more cookbooks--even if they are paleo or autoimmune protocol (AP), but..... after reading your review, I have to get this one, especially since I already have the book in the Nook library. I like simple recipes and the three-ingredient bone broth recipe plus the other delicious recipes beckons me to use one of the Barnes & Noble discount coupons. ;-) Well, using the coupon will make me feel less guilty for breaking my vow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Joni-don't know how that slipped by me-probably that dreaded auto-correct!

      Delete